Friday, March 28, 2008

 

Jazz Quotes

What we play is life.

Louis Armstrong

I never had much interest in the piano until I realized that every time I played, a girl would appear on the piano bench to my left and another to my right.

Duke Ellington

As far as playing jazz, no other art form, other than conversation, can givethe satisfaction of spontaneous interaction.

Stan Getz

If it has more than three chords, it's jazz.

Lou Reed

The only things that the United States has given to the world are skyscrapers, jazz, and cocktails. That is all. And in Cuba, in our America, they make much better cocktails.

Federico Garcia Lorca

The memory of things gone is important to a jazz musician. Things like oldfolks singing in the moonlight in the back yard on a hot night or something said long ago.

Louis Armstrong

There are four qualities essential to a great jazzman. They are taste,courage, individuality, and irreverence. These are the qualities I want to retain in my music.

Stan Getz

It occurred to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception. (When asked about the theory of relativity)

Albert Einstein

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible, is music.

Aldous Huxley

Anyone can learn what Louis Armstrong knows about music in a few weeks. Nobody could learn to play like him in a thousand years.

Benny Green

Over all, I think the main thing a musician would like to do is give a picture to the listener of the many wonderful things that he knows of and senses in the universe.

John Coltrane

...it bugs me when people try to analyze jazz as an intellectual theorem. It's not. It's feeling.

Bill Evans

I hate straight singing. I have to change a tune to my own way of doing it.That's all I know.

Billie Holiday

One thing I like about jazz, kid, is that I don't know what's going to happen next. Do you?

Bix Beiderbecke

Jazz music is to be played sweet, soft, plenty rhythm.

Jelly Roll Morton

This is positively not an album to play while you do a doctorate thesis on"Bergson, Webern and Charles the Vicious, Paradox or Ambiguity?"

Bob Brookmeyer

Jazz music is an intensified feeling of nonchalance.

Francoise Sagan

The whole thing of being in music is not to control it but to be swept away by it. If you're swept away by it you can't wait to do it again and the same magical moments always come.

Bobby Hutcherson

Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn.

Charlie Parker

Men have died for this music. You can't get more serious than that.

Dizzy Gillespie

It's like an act of murder - you play with intent to commit something.

Duke Ellington

It is only by introducing the young to great literature, drama and music, and to the excitement of great science that we open to them the possibilities that lie within the human spirit - enable them to see visions and dream dreams.

Eric Anderson

If I'd known I was going to live to be a hundred I'd have taken much better care of myself.

Eubie Blake

Without music, life would be a mistake.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Jazz is rhythm and meaning.

Henri Matisse

Technically, I'm not a guitar player, all I play is truth and emotion.

Jimi Hendrix

If you're going to make a mistake, make it loud so everybody else sounds wrong.

Joe Venuti

It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.

Johann Sebastian Bach

Music is the shorthand of emotion. Emotions, which let themselves be described in words with such difficulty, are directly conveyed to man in music, and in that is its power and significance.

Leo Tolstoy

Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny.

Frank Zappa

Music is a higher revelation than philosophy.

Ludwig van Beethoven

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Miles Davis

I think I had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to sound like a drymartini.

Paul Desmond

Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind,flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and life to everything.

Plato

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

Duke Ellington

Have a look at our community


"Jazz at the Maze"!http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=41950558

Comments:
Tom jobim pergutou ao Maestro Villa-Lobos como é que ele conseguia escrever musica em meio à tamanha balburdia do seu apartamento, o maestro respondeu:
O ouvido de fora não tem nada a ver com o ouvido de dentro.
xx
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter