Sunday, February 06, 2011

 

Play that Funky Bristol Sound...

Interview with Guido (Guy Middleton)
Interview from De:Bug Musik of Guido, 21 year old dubstep master:

Your album has been released for nearly a month now. Are you happy with the feedback so far? Anything that surprised you?
Yes it has been astonishing the amount of people from different places like it, I am very happy. It surprised me that Mad Sax has received perhaps more attention than the others.
The first time you heard Garage and Grime, what was intriguing about it for you?Was it only the music or was there something else that caught your attention?
Simply I just liked the music. There was nothing overly special about it for me just something i listened to a bit whilst growing up.

What came easy for you when you started making music and what did you struggle with?
I started learning the different software from an early age, Fruity Loops, Reason and Cubase. I seemed to have lots of ideas when I first started but looking back not all of them were that great haha. The only thing I struggled with was learning how to express myself musically something which I still do now but you get better at doing along way.

Before “Anidea” you had only released two eps. There are not many young producers who face the challenge to produce an album so fast (especially not within dance music, where dj-tools still reign supreme). How did “Anidea” and the idea to do it come about?
Pretty simply, I was asked by Peverelist if I was up for doing an LP for his label. Seeing as I had lots of tunes and was working on more we decided to have an aim to put it out. It wasn’t produced that quickly it has grown over a year or so.

It seems to me that melody is at the core of your tracks rather than rhythm or bass. Where does this fascination with hooks and melodies rather than breakbeat science come from?
Melody and the harmonies created from this for me is the most important aspect of making music. I tend to have that in mind most when making music but everything contributes as well which means rhythm can be just as important. I tend to feel most inspired by melodic sounds therefore it feels right to approach making music from that angle also.

In another interview you talked about your love of the music of computer games like Fnal Fantasy. How big is the influence of those soundtracks in your music? When you started making music at the age of 14, what place did you have have in mind for your music to be played at – a club or a game? And did this change over the years?
I did not think once about what place the music should fit in. I just made music because it was something I enjoyed doing a lot. The computer game music I listened to resonates with so many different feelings growing up, that’s why I have mentioned it. In particular the Final Fantasy series was just what I played as well as other games like Sonic, Mario etc.

A lot of the so-called “Bristol Sound” had a dusty, kinda dark and gritty tone to it. Your sound is synth drenched and rich in colorful melodies. Is Bristol’s musical history from the soundsystem culture to Drum and Bass and Trip Hop something that you can relate to or is it just one influence under many others?
It’s nice being from a city with such a great musical history and it has been inspiring at times. But sometimes I get confused about the saying “Bristol Sound” I just see that different artists that come from here have all had there own sound and have been described to be apart of a whole Bristol Sound which is cool if that’s how people want to interpret it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter